For weeks, I have seen advertisements for the impeding Beyonce visual album premiere, Lemonade. I will be honest with you for a second, I wasn’t in a huge hurry to catch it. Sure it’s Beyonce and sure, I really appreciate her art and talent. But, I wasn’t sure what it was about or how it applied to me. Get ready for this: I was SO wrong! I sat with a glass of wine, my friend, and a hamburger and drowned in that Beyonce Lemonade ya’ll. Here are 5 important takeaways (or at least how they apply to my life):
- Don’t baptize yourself in someone else’s river. They may let you drown.
- A generational history of misogyny, hurt, pain, and disappointment can be broken. It is not a requirement for it to be taught to our daughters.
- The only person that can change a man, for the better or for the worst, is a man.
- Forgiveness can set you free.
- Sometimes, it is worth mending, fixing, piecing back together. Sometimes there is hurt that can start out as a small seed. But, if not taken care of, it can take root and never let go. We are in charge of preventing that. We are in charge of determining when to break the cycle, when to tear out those roots.
- BONUS: Serena Williams is that lady.
Please, tell me what your thoughts were on the video. I am still in the process of digesting it and definitely feel like I need to block out an hour of my day to watch it again.