Natural curls are their most beautiful when they are full of shine, bounce, and most of all healthy. When our curls start to lose their luster, we may wonder if the lack of shine or brittle feeling is our hair trying to tell us something. While sometimes all you need is a penetrating deep conditioning treatment to throw the spring back in to your curls, other times your hair might be telling you something more is going on. Here are 6 signs that your hair may be unhealthy and need more than a single deep conditioning treatment.
1. Flaky & Itchy Scalp: Constant dandruff is a clear-cut sign that your scalp is dry and damaged. A dry and damaged scalp can effect your hair growth as well as hair retention.
2. Excessive Dryness: When your hair is excessively dry, your curls are trying to tell you that they are dying of thirst! Dry hair can lead to breakage and split ends which can definitely effect length retention.
3. Breakage: Occasionally, you might notice a little breakage which is normal. However, when your ends are rough can completely uneven, that is a sign that your breakage is working its way up the hair shaft.
4. Brittle To The Touch: Your curls should never feel like uncooked Ramon Noodles! If they do, your curls are begging you for penetrating moisture.
5. Excessive Shedding or Balding: If you do not have an illness that directly affects your hair, excessive shedding or balding is a major red flag. The average person loses about 100 strands of hair per day; give or take. However, if you are noticing more and more hair in your comb or on your pillow, you may have an unhealty scalp.
6. Lack of Growth: The average person’s hair grows about a 1/2 inch per month and 6 inches per year. When you are not seeing the type of growth that you should, this could be to breakage and unhealthy hair. Outside of having an illness, everyone’s hair basically grows at the same rate. Therefore, not seeing any growth over a length of time is not normal and should not be brushed off as “My hair just doesn’t grow”!